General Medical Council
Charlie leads the General Medical Council’s senior management team. He builds on the reforms they’ve delivered, including:
- expanded medical education and training role;
- language checks for doctors from Europe;
- Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service.
Charlie was previously Director General at the Department of Health England. Before that, he was Director for Ageing Society and State Pensions at the Department for Work and Pensions.
He has also worked in a variety of roles across government and the wider public sector. During this time Charlie has led:
- improved funding of final salary pension schemes as Executive Director of the Pensions Regulator;
- childcare and drugs reviews in the Prime Minister’s Strategy Unit;
- work on Royal Mail and the future of the Post Office network at HM Treasury.